September 18, 2010

Purpose of Life

How many times have you questioned yourself-- "What is the purpose of my life?" "What am I doing here?"

I've noticed that we tend to completely overlook the real purpose of life, and get caught up in the small things. For example me, I want to be a lawyer. I want to be someone who's an active member of the society and contributes to social issues and global causes. Now I know that I love sociology, I enjoy reading about religion, spirituality, anthropology, history, politics, YET I never do it! It seems to me that I get caught up in what the society labels to be 'relaxation' aka facebook, mindless blogging, etc. that I never actually get to the 'serious stuff'. Instead of delving into these interests of mine, I spend hours indulging in the notion that mindless crap is relaxation.

I don't know if you're able to follow my train of thoughts, but basically what I mean is, we overlook the purpose of our lives and give into our momentary desires. As a Muslim, my ultimate goal in life is to attain Jannah, inshAllah. Now instead of me making use of my hours carefully, I spend hours reading about useless crap that will be of absolutely no benefit to me, or my career, or my goals, whatsoever. I do understand the importance of relaxing and just letting go, and doing something light and mindless, something where I don't have to think, you know? Relax my brain for just a little bit. But doing that for 5-6 hours at a stretch, spending entire days indulging in that? It's definitely something to be worried about.

This is just something that I realized today, and something that I'm resolving to fix starting today. Making better use of my time, and actually WORKING towards my goals. The four quadrants, the real deal.
What is YOUR purpose in life and how are you fulfilling it?

No comments: